So, how do I know if I have a problem with alcohol or drugs? Or how do I know if my loved one has a problem? The fact that you’re asking the question implies a curiosity that could reveal the answer.
Self-assessment tests and screening tools can be the key to identifying, understanding, and getting support for alcohol abuse problems. They are not designed to provide a diagnosis. If you think you or someone you know may have an alcohol or drug problem, please consult a physician or professional for a full evaluation.
Do I have a problem with alcohol?
The CAGE Questionnaire
Here’s a simple 4 question test that has proved to be both valid and reliable for accuracy regarding alcohol. Of course, only a professional can make a diagnosis, but the answers here will give a strong sense of the seriousness of any addiction issue.
- Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?
- Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- Have you felt bad or guiltyabout your drinking?
- Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (eye-opener)?
A score of 2 or more yes answers, (were you totally honest?) is considered indicative of a problem with alcohol.
Do I have a problem with drugs?
The DAST Questionnaire
- Have you used drugs other than those required for medical reasons?
- Have you abused prescription drugs?
- Do you abuse more than one drug at a time?
- Can you get through the week without using drugs?
- Are you always able to stop using drugs when you want to?
- Have you had “blackouts” or “flashbacks” as a result of drug use?
- Do you ever feel bad or guilty about your drug use?
- Does your spouse (or parents) ever complain about your involvement with drugs?
- Has drug abuse created problems between you and your spouse or your parents?
- Have you lost friends because of your use of drugs?
- Have you neglected your family because of your use of drugs?
- Have you been in trouble at work because of your use of drugs?
- Have you lost a job because of drug abuse?
- Have you gotten into fights when under the influence of drugs?
- Have you engaged in illegal activities in order to obtain drugs?
- Have you been arrested for possession of illegal drugs?
- Have you ever experienced withdrawal symptoms (felt sick) when you stopped taking drugs?
- Have you had medical problems as a result of your drug use (e.g., memory loss, hepatitis, convulsions, bleeding, etc.)?
- Have you gone to anyone for help for a drug problem?
- Have you been involved in a treatment program especially related to drug use?
Scoring YES to 11 or more questions on the DAST indicates a significant problem with drugs.
Be advised that only a professional, following an in-person or phone assessment, can make a diagnosis. For more information, or to talk to that professional, please call our admissions department at 973-848-3751 or 855-646-1139.